Application Specific Power Resistor
We specialise in application specific power resistor design and manufacture. We deliver customer/application specific resistor solutions in low to medium volume.
Thick film resistor product has several advantages over wire wound alternatives. These include small size (high resistance density) significantly lower cost, lower inductance (faster frequency response) and improved thermal management (heat sinking). Thick film power resistors are also more resistant to mechanical, thermal and chemical stresses than their wirewound equivalents
Thick Film Power Resistor Design Issues
In any application there are several key power resistor design issues to consider including:
- Transients and pulses need careful consideration as they can cause an instantaneous temperature rise in the resistor film and damage the resistor.
- The standard operating conditions (particularly peak voltage) and long term loading effects must be evaluated. Failure to select the correct resistor can result in changes in resistance over time or premature resistor failure.
- Heat management in thick film power resistor devices is critical to reliable long term resistor performance. It is also important to consider products surrounding the resistor on the circuit board and the effect of a temperature rise on their operation.
Power resistor design and the choice of appropriate material for both the substrate and the conductor material is important if resistor failure or reduced long term performance is to be avoided. TSEC Engineers are always available to offer advice on thick film power resistor selection for any application.
Required Power Resistor Application Information
We work with customers to understand the application and all resistor design issues to ensure we design and manufacture a custom power resistor product that is fit for purpose. To ensure all potential issues are considered we require the following information.
- Nominal resistance (Ohms).
- Resistor tolerance.
- Operating temperature.
- Peak voltage.
- Any known transient conditions.
- Dimensional constraints.
- Termination type (and length of pins).
- Coating material (if any).
TSEC has supplied numerous components for Resistor Load Banks with power ratings as high as 25 KWatts @ 140 KVolts. Other examples include High Power Resistors 100 mm by 50 mm on 1 mm thick Alumina Ceramic that can handle 500 Watts provided the element temperature is kept constant at approximately 60 °C.
Please contact TSEC on 01207 230728 to discuss your thick film power resistor manufacture and design issues.